Sunday, May 31, 2009

May Spending Recap


May was a fly the seat of your pants month which didn't bode well for my budget. I was still high on coming back from vacation, the bf returning and summer finally arriving and didn't quite curb my spending as I had hoped.
  • Clothes & Beauty: Budgeted: $100, Actual Spend: $138. With the start of summer, I wanted summer gear. I also wanted to paint my nails again & be girly. The good thing is I don't see myself needing to buy any more nail polishes for the summer so I think I can bring this budget down & shift some cash over elsewhere (i.e. eating out!). I also am going to see if I can sell some of my clothes online.
  • Eating out: Budgeted: $110, Actual Spend: $170. I never improve here! I know this is my biggest weakness & I guess I am just not willing to give it up either. I can trace this back to two big meals. One, I treated my family to lunch (~$70) & another was when I treated the bf to a nice dinner (~$60) to celebrate things going well at his work.
  • Entertainment: Budgeted: $50, Actual Spend: $53. Watched some movies & played some bingo. I am happy here.
  • Gas: Budgeted: $100, Actual Spend: $170. I didn't drive any more than usual but gas prices keep going up and as a result I keep spending more on it. I think as the summer goes on, this will become my big budget buster.
  • Groceries: Budgeted: $100, Actual Spend: $135. What put me over here was gardening stuff that I debated throwing into misc. Since the gardening items related to herbs which I plan on using cooking, I decided to put it in here. I really should put the herbs here & the supplies in miscellaneous but I can't be bothered to split the receipt up into multiple categories. This is my first foray into growing herbs and I am excited at the idea of being able to pick & choose herbs on a whim.
  • Misc: Budgeted: $20, Actual Spend: $55. I spent $50 buying some health items. If I had a health category, this would go in there but since I don't Miscellaneous it is.
  • Total Budgeted: $480, Actual Spend: $721.
Over by $241. Not good! I realize that I am not willing to compromise on Eating Out so I am going to increase it by $50 for June. I am also going to up my Gas category up by $50 as well. Clothes & Beauty will be decreased by $50 because I don't see myself needing to spend much here.

0 comments: